These wonderfully tasty cupcakes have a more-ish orange custard filling pumped into them and are then topped with a lemon drizzle icing.
Citrus Jubilee Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
BUTTER CAKE CUPCAKES
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs and continue to mix in well.
3. Lightly fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix in the milk.
5. Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin cases until they are about ¾ full.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350ºF/180ºC or until skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool before filling with the orange filling and topping with the lemon drizzle icing.
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
250ml/8ozs cup orange juice
1. Melt the butter and allow to cool.
2. Mix the flour and salt into the butter until there are no lumps and the mixture is quite smooth.
3. Then very slowly pour in the orange juice, beating well all the time. Once you have a
lovely, smooth mixture, add the sugar and orange rind to the mixture.
4. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and very slowly pour the orange juice mixture into the egg yolks, whisking all the ingredients together well until the egg yolks are
incorporated into the mixture. Pour everything back into the saucepan. This is all done cool with no heat.
5. Place the saucepan on the hob and, stirring all the time, cook until thick and flour is
thickened and cooked out so that the filling does not taste of uncooked starch.
6. Using an icing bag and nozzle, poke the side of the cupcake with the nozzle and squeeze the filling into each cupcake.
7. Top with lemon drizzle icing.
LEMON DRIZZLE ICING
125g/1 cup icing sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
Mix both together until smooth and then drizzle over the cupcakes.