When it comes to cutting down meat, it’s not just steak, roast chicken or pork belly you need to think of. Dishes like pate are meat-based and can make entertaining that little bit harder. Or so it seems!
Our delicious mushroom pate is a great vegetarian alternative for your next dinner party. Even if you are a meat eater, this pate has such a rich flavour you won’t even notice it is vegetarian. It’s perfect with crudites or spread on sourdough.
30g/1 oz butter or olive oil, if preferred
1 shallot or 6 spring onions, finely chopped
225g/8ozs mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 clove of garlic, very finely chopped
170g/6 ozs cream cheese
squeeze of lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan. Add the shallot and the mushrooms.
2. Fry until all the moisture in the mushrooms releases and evaporates. The mushrooms and shallot should be well-browned.
3. Add the garlic and fry until just translucent. Take off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
5. Blitz the mushroom mixture in a food processor until smooth then add the cream cheese and the lemon juice.
6. Blitz again briefly until just blended.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper and chill in the fridge until set.
8. Serve with crudites, toast or freshly baked bread.