BEST OF JEWISH COOKING
Jewish food is gaining recognition in America and the trend is following slowly but surely in London. In this Jewish cooking class we want to explore this truly wonderful and memorable cuisine.
Sephardic dishes, made popular by Yotam Ottolenghi, are characterised by fresh herbs and vibrant flavours typical of Israeli food. Ashkenazi cuisine hails from Eastern Europe and is heartier and warming.
This Jewish cooking class will focus on traditional Ashkenazi foods with a few typical Sephardic dishes thrown in to lighten the mix. Once the cooking is done, we will gather together around the Cookery School table to enjoy the feast with matched organic wines.
This class emphasises the wonderful culture of Jewish food, but is not religion based and not kosher.
You Will Learn To Make
- cheese blintzes (thin pancakes with a delectable cream cheese filling)
- traditional chicken soup made from scratch – often described as Jewish penicillin because of its curative properties
- kneidlach (matzo meal balls)
- beef tsimmes (a rich and very flavoursome stew) with prunes, carrots and matzo meal dumplings
- latkes (potato cakes) with apple sauce and/or sour cream
- chollah bread (traditional plaited bread)
- green beans in tomato sauce
- aubergines in tomato sauce
- You will leave us thrilled to have discovered a wonderful cuisine whose dishes you can replicate at home with ease
- Leave having learnt a raft of new techniques so that you will feel confident about recreating the meal at home
- Expert teaching and advice, using standard home kitchen equipment
- Leave with the knowledge and understanding to make the delicious recipes at home
- Hands on experience
- You will use sustainably sourced, best possible ingredients – organic where possible