CHRISTMAS MINCE PIES
For the filling use bought mincemeat of choice and add brandy and additional spices to the mincemeat to give fuller flavour.
For the pastry
10 ozs flour
7 ozs butter
2 ozs caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1. Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Rub the butter into these until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Bind the dry ingredients with the egg yolks and mix until a good dough is formed then chill in the fridge.
4. Remove from the fridge and roll out between two sheets of grease proof paper. Use a round cutter to cut out circles and press these into mince pie tins.
5. Drop a spoonful of mincemeat into each of the pastry lined mince pie tins.
7. Place a pastry lid on top of each pie. Prick gently to release steam when baking. Alternatively, simply pop a shaped piece over pastry over the mince pie e.g a star.
10. Bake in oven at 400ºF/190ºC for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Sift a little icing sugar over the top of the pies before serving.
12. Serve hot with brandy butter or Christmas ice cream.
For the brandy butter
8 ozs unsalted butter
3 tablespoons caster sugar – use more if a sweeter butter is required
½ cup brandy
1. Heat a bowl and place the butter in it.
2. Beat well until the butter becomes smooth then add the sugar and beat well.
3. Finally add the brandy and whisk vigorously until the mixture is frothy and light.
4. Chill well before serving.
5. Serve with hot mince pies.