May 13-19 marks National Vegetarian Week so we’re celebrating with one of our favourite dinner recipes – Vegetable Bolognese. With more than five veggies per serve, it’s a great way to pack in your five-a-day in a delicious way.
It’s a real crowd pleaser – just make sure you make enough for leftovers!
- – 6 tablespoons olive oil
- – 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- – 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- – 2 aubergines, finely diced
- – 225g /½ lb mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- – 3 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- – 5 celery sticks, finely diced
- – 450g / 1 lb courgettes, finely diced
- – 1 × 400g / 1 lb tin chopped tomatoes or passata
- – 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- – handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- – 1 dessertspoon powdered vegetable stock
- – Salt and freshly ground pepper
- – 500g dried pasta
- Pour the oil into a large pan, set over a high heat. Add the onion and fry until well browned.
- Add the garlic and cook until it is translucent but do not allow to brown.
- Add the aubergine and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they are browned too.
- Add the carrots, celery and courgettes and mix in with the other vegetables.
- Finally add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, parsley and powdered stock to the pan and mix together well.
- Bring the mixture up to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to packet.
- Once sauce is thick and fragrant, toss with pasta. Serve immediately.