Aquafaba, the liquid from a tin of chickpeas or beans, has become a valued ingredient and a replacement for eggs in vegan recipes. Good olive oil brings flavour to this vegan aioli and spices and herbs ring the changes.
50ml aquafaba (chickpea water)
pinch of salt
200ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
good pinch of saffron
1 clove of very finely chopped garlic
1. Place the aquafaba and pinch of salt in a bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat the aquafaba and salt until it becomes frothy.
3. Very slowly add the oil in a gentle slow stream ensuring that it is added sufficiently slowly to be absorbed by the aquafaba. If added too fast, the mixture will split, so slow, steady adding of the oil is essential for success.
4. When all the oil has been absorbed, add the saffron and garlic to the mix and beat further to thicken the mixture.
5. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if desired.