At Cookery School we teach to empower so that everyone has the confidence to replicate recipes again and again at home. We also teach by principle – if you can understand how to make a tortilla, you can make a whole range of different snacks using the same principle.
Tortilla is cooked in a frying pan. Once the first side is cooked, the pan is inverted then the second side cooked. We prefer to cook ours in the oven using the one pan method described below. This saves slaving over a hot stove and ensures a delicious, well browned tortilla.
Tortilla with Potato
4ozs/100ml olive oil
1lb/450g onions chopped small
1lb/450g new potatoes left whole if small or cut into 2″ chunks if large
freshly ground salt and pepper
1. Fry the onions until golden brown and set aside.
2. Boil the new potatoes until tender. Allow to cool a little. Alternatively the potatoes and onions can be fried together until the potatoes are tender. The result is a more flavoursome tortilla.
3. Beat the eggs well.
4. Mix together the fried onions, boiled potatoes and eggs and season to taste with salt and
5. Pour the mixture into a high sided oven proof dish about 8″ diameter – ensure that the
potatoes are well covered with the egg mixture.
6. Place in oven 200ºC /400ºF and cook the tortilla for about ½ hour. Insert a knife into the
centre of the dish. If the knife comes out clean with no raw egg sticking to it then the tortilla
is ready for serving. If not, return to the oven for a few minutes and check again until the
knife comes out clean.
7. Cut into bite sized cubes and serve freshly made. Tortilla is generally served at room
We are over on social media too, we’d love you to tag us @cookeryschoollondon in any of your food making, watching or reading adventures!
Find our more about our sustainability practices here
Browse our cookery classes here
Sign up for our September Cook’s Certificate here
Sign up for our newsletter here to keep in touch, and to find out about our upcoming courses, and offers.