At Cookery School we teach to empower so that everyone has the confidence to replicate recipes again and again at home. We also teach by principle – if you can understand how to make one soup, you can make a whole range of different soups using the same principle.
During our time at home, in isolation, these principles have never been more pertinent, when we all need to cook a lot more. We will be sharing simple, home-cooked weekly recipes with you, so that your experience of cooking during Covid-19 is a positive one, with new recipes learnt and delicious dishes enjoyed.
What is poaching?
Uses a small amount of water that has been flavoured with savoury ingredients or sugar and spices, in which the ingredient being poached is submerged in the poaching liquid and cooked very slowly. Food cooked this way stays beautifully moist.
Allow 2 eggs per person
1. Bring the water to a good rolling boil and then turn down to a gentle poach. There should be the occasional bubble appearing on the surface of the water. NEVER salt the water when poaching as it will cause the white to disintegrate.
2. Crack an egg into a bowl. Create a vigorous whirlpool in the water by stirring in about two circular motions with a spoon. Allow the whirlpool to settle and slow a little and then gently drop the egg into the water.
3. Allow the egg to poach in the water for 2–3 minutes. The whites should be set and the yolks should be just runny.
4. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon. It can be kept in a bowl of cold water until you are ready to serve and then placed back in a pan of hot water for 30 seconds to warm through.
5. Poach the rest of the eggs, one at a time.
Poached eggs are delicious served with toasted muffins and Hollandaise sauce.
Lay some good sliced ham on the toasted muffins before placing the eggs on top and
spooning over the Hollandaise.
Just replace the ham with some fresh wilted spinach.
Cooking during Covid-19
We have a wealth of experience to share in these unprecedented times if you need help cooking during Coronavirus. We’ll be giving you tips and recipes on using store cupboard ingredients, preserving, pickling & above all making the most of your valuable ingredients & not wasting food. PLEASE let us have YOUR questions and SHARE on Facebook or Instagram what you’ve been cooking & our founder Rosalind will be able to get back to you with answers so we can all learn from each other.