At Cookery School we teach to empower so that everyone has the confidence to replicate recipes again and again at home. We also teach by principle – if you can understand how to make custard, you can make a whole range of different desserts using the same principle.
Literally translated means ‘cooked cream’
1½ cups/12ozs/375ml double cream
1½ cups milk/12ozs/375ml
1 cup/8ozs/250ml full fat yoghurt
7 sheets leaf gelatin
½ vanilla pod
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
4 tablespoons sugar
1. Place the milk and cream in a saucepan. Scrape the contents of the vanilla pod into this as well as the pod which can be removed once mixture has boiled. Add the grated lemon rind and sugar too.
2. Bring this mixture very slowly to the boil.
3. Meanwhile soak the leaf gelatin in cold water for a few minutes until it softens and then squeeze out the additional water. Then place the gelatin in a small bowl and stand in a pan of boiling water until the gelatin becomes ‘liquidy’ and clear. At this stage remove immediately from boiling water.
4. Pour a little of the scalded cream/milk mixture over the dissolved gelatin and then add the
gelatin back into the saucepan with remaining milk/cream, stirring well to ensure that the
gelatin is completely dissolved. At no time can the gelatin be allowed to boil.
5. Then slowly whisk the cream/gelatin mixture onto the yoghurt, again ensuring that it is well mixed.
6. Strain the mixture into a small jug and then pour into 6 or 8 ramekins that have been lightly oiled with a tasteless oil like sunflower/almond oil.
7. Place in the refrigerator for four to five hours at least or until set.
8. Unmould the panna cotta by dipping the moulds in hot water and serve with a contrasting fruit coulis like a raspberry one, baked or poached fruit or a fruit compote.
We are over on social media too, we’d love you to tag us @cookeryschoollondon in any of your food making, watching or reading adventures!
Find our more about our sustainability practices here
Browse our cookery classes here
Sign up for our September Cook’s Certificate here
Sign up for our newsletter here to keep in touch, and to find out about our upcoming courses, and offers.