New Year’s is a time for celebration, so spend less time in the kitchen this year and keep things simple and whip up a batch of our loved Parmesan biscuits. These delicious Parmesan biscuits are perfect for those who prefer savoury over sweet and can be served as snacks, nibbles or as a base for a creative canape. An alternative for these biscuits is our cheese straws which you can learn to make in our Pastry class.
9 ozs/275g flour
7 ozs/175g butter
6 ozs/150g grated Parmesan cheese
chilli and ground pepper to taste
sufficient iced water to blend
1 egg beaten
sesame seeds/poppy seeds/ground black pepper/ground paprika and chilli mixed
1. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix in to dry ingredients. Add the seasoning.
3. Bind the dry ingredients with the ice water and mix until a good dough is formed.
4. Form the dough into a long cylinder about 1½”/3.5cm in diameter, cover with cling film and
refrigerate until firm.
5. Roll the dough in the beaten egg and then roll in seed of choice.
6. Using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into slices about ½” thick.
7. Place on a baking tray and bake in oven 350ºF/180ºC for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the
pastry is golden brown.
Another tasty alternative for these biscuits is our cheese straws, which you can learn to make in our Pastry class.