Make our delicious honey roasted pumpkin recipe and help reduce the number of pumpkins sent to landfill every year. Each year, thousands of acres of farmland are used to grow Halloween pumpkins only to have tons of carved pumpkins sent to the landfill once the festivities are over. Not only is this a waste of a valuable, nutritious, and delicious food — it’s also a waste of your money.
During the current cost of living crisis, with rising food bills, we need to do all we can to reduce food waste, not add to it.
Once Halloween is over, it does not take long to turn your carved pumpkin into delicious homemade food. The following recipe is surprisingly easy way and will help reduce food waste!
HONEY ROASTED PUMPKIN
1.5Kg pumpkin cut into 5cm chunks
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup honey
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Peel the pumpkin and cut into good, large chunks about 5cm in size.
2. Place the pumpkin chunks on a large baking tray, season with salt and pepper and pour over the olive oil and honey. Using your hands, mix together well and then spread out evenly in the tray.
3. Make sure that the pumpkin is only one layer thick so that the chunks can brown well and not stew.
4. Bake in oven 225C/425F for about 30 minutes, turning a couple of times until they start to
6. The pumpkin chunks should be tender when a knife pierces them, well browned and any liquid evaporated. Exact time of baking will depend on the size of the chunks.
7. This dish is delicious served with roasts of any sort.