This is a great way to use up leftover hot cross buns and any remaining Easter eggs you may have. It’s a mouthful to say and not the prettiest of dishes but it tastes absolutely delicious!
- 3 hot cross buns, sliced into 6 vertical slices
- 600ml whole milk
- 75g softened butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- leftover easter eggs, broken up
– Butter the bread and place into a baking dish that will hold about 850ml of liquid.
– Beat the eggs and sugar lightly and add the broken-up chocolate.
– Bring the milk to the boil.
– Whisking the eggs all the time, slowly pour the hot milk over the egg, sugar and chocolate mixture until all the mix has been beaten in and the chocolate has all melted.
– Strain this mixture into a large jug. This help ensure a smooth custard.
– Pour this mixture over the buttered bread which has been placed in a baking dish.
– Place the whole dessert in the fridge for a few hours during which time the bread will absorb some of the egg and milk mixture.
– When ready to cook the bread and butter pud, place it in a bain marie in oven 150ºC/300ºF and cook for about ¾ hour or until a knife inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
– Serve at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar.