CRANBERRY AND ORANGE SAUCE
Cranberry and orange sauce is a fruity Christmas classic that pairs with anything from roast turkey, to ham, to a nut roast and spices up a Boxing Day feast of cold meat and pickles.
250g/8 ozs cranberries
125g/4 ozs sugar
125ml/4 ozs water
Juice of an orange
Rind of on orange
Grand Marnier or Cointreau to taste if desired
1. Place the cranberries, water, orange juice and orange rind in a saucepan and cook until tender.
2. Add the sugar to the softened cranberries.
3. Cook for a minute or two until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid has evaporated, leaving a sauce of a light dropping consistency.
4. To make a more jam-like sauce, use a potato masher to squash the cranberries so that the sauce becomes denser.
5. Remove from heat and place in a serving dish or sterilised glass jar if the sauce is to be kept for a while. We always keep our cranberry sauce refrigerated or even frozen if to be kept for a long time.
6. If desired, orange flavoured liqueur can be added to the sauce towards the end.
Interested in learning more about sauces, come along to one of our very popular sauces classes!