June is just days away, which means the season of picnics in the park, BBQs in the backyard and bring a plate dinners is upon us. This courgette salad is ready in minutes and is sure to impress, with simple flavours allowing the produce to shine.
If you’re taking it along to a dinner party, we suggest doubling the recipe – this way, no-one misses out!
Serves 4, as a side
- – 450g of courgettes, cut lengthwise on a mandolin or spiralised
- – 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- – ¼ cup olive oil
- – 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, torn up
- – lemon juice, to taste
- – freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1. Place a griddle pan on the hob and allow to heat until it’s too hot to touch.
- 2. Place the cut courgettes and crushed garlic in a bowl, and using your hands to toss lightly, coat them all with olive oil.
- 3. Place a handful of courgettes on the griddle and grill until they colour slightly. They need to be al dente and not soft. Turn and allow them to cook for a short while more. They do not need to cook but only to colour in parts. Remove to a serving bowl.
- 4. Repeat this process, allowing the griddle pan to heat between batches if necessary.
- 5. Squeeze over a good dash of lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6. Add the shredded basil leaves and toss everything well to ensure that the salad is dressed all over. Serve immediately.