At Cookery School we teach to empower so that everyone has the confidence to replicate recipes again and again at home. We also teach by principle – if you can understand how to make and prepare a basic stew, you can make a whole range of different stews using the same principle.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic chopped
450g/1lb tinned tomatoes or tomato passata
3 tablespoons sun dried tomato paste
½ cup parsley chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
450g tin chickpeas
salt and pepper
1. Fry the onions in the olive oil until golden brown. Add the chopped garlic and fry for a minute or so more.
2. Add the passata and the sun dried tomato paste which gives a lovely rich flavour.
3. Add the parsley and dried oregano to the mixture and simmer for about twenty minutes. If tomatoes do not have much juice with them, add a can or two of water to the mixture. This will allow the sauce to cook without becoming dry and develop flavour. A sauce must be ‘saucy’ and not dry.
4. Drain the tin of chickpeas and keep the liquid in which they have been cooked called aquafaba to use in other vegan recipes.
5. Add a cup of water to this mixture, bring back to the boil and allow to simmer until the stew has thickened slightly and all the ingredients are well mixed together.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cooking during Covid-19
We have a wealth of experience to share in these unprecedented times if you need help cooking during Coronavirus. We’ll be giving you tips and recipes on using store cupboard ingredients, preserving, pickling & above all making the most of your valuable ingredients & not wasting food. PLEASE let us have YOUR questions and SHARE on Facebook or Instagram what you’ve been cooking & our founder Rosalind will be able to get back to you with answers so we can all learn from each other.