At Cookery School we teach to empower so that everyone has the confidence to replicate recipes again and again at home. We also teach by principle – if you can understand how to make and prepare a biscuit, you can make a whole range of different biscuits using the same principle.
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
9 ozs/250g flour
7 ozs/200g butter
6 ozs/150g grated Cheddar cheese
chilli and ground pepper to taste
sufficient iced water to blend
1 egg beaten
sesame seeds/poppy seeds/ground black pepper/ground paprika and chilli mixed
1. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add the Cheddar cheese and mix in to dry ingredients. Add the seasoning.
3. Bind the dry ingredients with the ice water and mix until a good dough is formed.
4. Divide the dough in three and then into 3 long cylinders about 1½” ” in diameter then roll
each cylinder in bakewell or greaseproof paper and twist the ends, like a cracker, and
refrigerate until firm.
5. Take the refrigerated rolls and roll each cylinder in the beaten egg and then roll in seed of
5. Using a very sharp knife, cut the roll into slices about ½” thick.
6. Do this with each of the three rolls, covering each cylinder in a different flavoured coating.
7. Place slices on a baking tray and bake in oven 350ºF/180ºC for about 15 – 20 minutes or
until the pastry is golden brown.
We are over on social media too, we’d love you to tag us @cookeryschoollondon in any of your food making, watching or reading adventures!
Find our more about our sustainability practices here
Browse our cookery classes here
Sign up for our September Cook’s Certificate here
Sign up for our newsletter here to keep in touch, and to find out about our upcoming courses, and offers.