Banana bread is almost a staple in Cookery School’s kitchen, as it’s a great way to use up bananas that are looking worse for wear. With no fancy ingredients, this banana bread recipe is perfect for a lazy afternoon of baking or last-minute dessert!
- – 100g/3.5ozs cup brown sugar
– 50g/2ozs butter plus 4 tablespoons rapeseed oil
– 2 eggs
– 4 tablespoons milk
– 225g/8ozs mashed bananas
– 300g/10.5ozs flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 2 teaspoons mixed spice or cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger mixed as desired
1. Mix butter, oil and sugar together until it takes on a cream-like texture.
2. Add the eggs and continue to combine.
3. Add the mashed bananas and milk to the egg mixture and mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
5. Mix all the ingredients together as swiftly as possible – do not overmix.
6. Pour into a greased and papered 1 lb loaf tin.
7. Bake in oven 356°F/180°C for about 1 hour. Check to see that the cake is baked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
8. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before cutting.
Learn more about how to turn your food surplus into delicious dishes, in our waste matters class!