One of our favourite side dishes for this time of year! It has a rich flavour and looks so striking!
1½ lb red cabbage finely shredded 3 apples finely diced
2 onions finely chopped 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
3 cloves garlic finely chopped ½ cup tomato passata
¼ cup olive oil juice of 1 lemon/1tablespoon wine vinegar
1 cup red wine 1 tablespoon sugar – more may be needed
1 stick cinnamon apple juice concentrate to taste
6 cloves additional ground cinnamon and cloves
4 tablespoons raisins freshly ground salt and pepper
1. Place the red wine, cinnamon, cloves and sugar in a saucepan and allow to simmer for about twenty
minutes or until the wine has absorbed the flavour of the spices.
2. Fry the onion in the olive oil until golden brown. Add the garlic and fry gently.
3. Add the cabbage and apple and coat well with oil.
4. Then add the mulled wine mixture, tomato passata, raisins and tomato sauce to the cabbage.
5. Bring to the boil, turn down heat and allow to simmer until the cabbage is very tender.
6. Season well with apple juice, additional lemon juice or vinegar if needed to obtain as well as freshly
ground salt and pepper to obtain a sweet and sour effect. Cook until liquid has evaporated.
7. An additional dash of cinnamon and cloves can be added to the mixture at this stage.
8. Serve hot as a side dish with fish or meat.
Perfect with a winter roast or for boxing day leftovers.