The Stroke Association is a charity that is very close to our hearts which is why on Friday 29th May we are lending our kitchens out to Gemini Search who are making cupcakes to sell to raise money for The Stroke Association’s #MakeMayPurple campaign.
Here’s our foolproof cupcake recipe for you to try at home. Why not make some to sell for charity too? If you’d like to make the cupcakes purple, just add a few drops of natural purple colouring to the icing.
6 ozs sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 ozs flour
4 tablespoons milk
BUTTER CREAM ICING INGREDIENTS
50g/2 ozs butter – either salted or unsalted
100g/4ozs icing sugar
a few tablespoons of milk if required
vanilla essence if desired
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs and continue to mix in well.
3. Lightly fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix in the milk.
5. Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin cases until they are about ¾ full.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350ºF/180ºC or until skewer inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool before icing.
1. Cream the butter well then gradually add the icing sugar.
2. If the icing becomes too thick to mix, add a teaspoon of milk to thin it very slightly. The icing thins very quickly so add as little milk as possible.
3. Continue to beat in the sugar, adding a few drops of milk at a time if necessary to thin slightly.
4. When all icing sugar has been used up, add a few drops of vanilla extract if desired.
5. Spread onto cupcakes using a spatula.