WILD FERMENTATION PICKLING CLASS
Wild Fermentation Pickling Class, in association with Urban Food Fortnight
Chetanya Alexander is the owner of Tickles’ Pickles , the commercial producer of naturally fermented pickles. Chetanya studied traditional kimchi techniques with Jeong Kwan, the ‘philosopher chef’ in Korea, and will take you through the basics of lacto-fermentation, teaching you the techniques of both a dry-salted vegetable pickle (kimchi) and a brine pickle (sour dill cucumbers). These are the most commonly used techniques used to make vegetable pickles, and once you’ve learned them you’ll be able to play around with recipes – pickle any fruit or veg and add herbs and spices to suit your tastes.
Chetanya will discuss variations of kimchi and how to cook it and show you how to make two super easy, tasty kimchi based dishes – a crispy noodle kimchi pancake and kimchi fried rice with egg as well as explaining how to make ‘nuka zuke’ (a Japanese bran pickle).
You will learn to make:
- Korean Kimchi (dry-salted vegetable pickle)
- Dill cucumbers (brine pickle)
- Pink sauerkraut, (pickled cabbage)
- Crispy noodle kimchi pancake
- Kimchi fried rice
- Learn to make two types of fermenting techniques
- Expert teaching and advice, using standard home kitchen equipment
- Leave with the knowledge and understanding to make the delicious recipes at home
- Hands on experience
- You will use sustainably sourced, high quality, organic ingredients
- You will never wash up - we take care of that for you always!