RAJASTHANI COOKING – REGIONAL INDIAN WITH ROOPA GULATI
Join Roopa Gulati on a gastronomic journey through India. This is the third in a series of regional Indian cooking classes based on Punjabi, Gujarati, Keralan and Rajasthani cuisines.
Located to the west of India, this largely desert region is home to two splendid cooking styles: the rich regal palace cooking style favoured by the Rajputs, contrasted with vegetarian staples (often made without onion and garlic) enjoyed by the Marwari business community. Big bold and chilli-laden flavours counter the fierce heat of this area where temperatures are likely to reach over 50 degrees centigrade in the summer.
In this class, we’ll be dressing up aubergines with a tomato masala seasoned with pickling spices – fennel, fenugreek and nigella seeds. We’ll then recreate a palace hunting dish with slow-cooked meat, simmered with soaked red chillies, shredded garlic, black cardamom and yoghurt. Smoking our own yoghurt will lend extra drama, as will roasting a chicken cloaked in a spiced paste made from cashew nuts, garlic and lime juice. For light bites, there will be fat green chilli pakoras stuffed with mango-spiced potatoes, and stir-fried pumpkin, seasoned with astringent fenugreek seeds. We’ll dip our dessert spoons into a rose and poppy seed ice as a fitting finale to our Rajasthani meal.
Roopa will welcome you with a wonderful breakfast of gram flour pancakes and chutney and a warming cup of masala chai when you arrive, before you roll up your sleeves to start cooking. At the end of the day you will sit down together to enjoy what you have made with a refreshing beer.
You will learn to make
- Aubergine cooked with pickling spices (achari baigan)
- Slow-cooked lamb, hogget or mutton with red chillies (lal maas)
- Smoked yoghurt
- Chicken baked in a packet (khad murgh)
- Jodhpur-style stuffed green chilli pakoras
- Pumpkin masala
- Rosewater ice
- Master the techniques behind Indian Cookery – once known you will have that knowledge for ever
- Expert teaching and advice, using standard home kitchen equipment
- Leave with the knowledge and understanding to make the delicious recipes at home
- Hands on experience
- You will use sustainably best quality ingredients – organic where possible
- Take away a pack of recipes of dishes made during the class