KERALAN COOKING – REGIONAL INDIAN WITH ROOPA GULATI
Join Roopa Gulati on a gastronomic journey through India. This is the second in a series of regional Indian cooking classes based on Punjabi, Gujarati, Keralan and Rajasthani cuisines.
Located on the palm-fringed coast of South West India, Kerala makes much of its tropical spice gardens laden with cardamom, mace, peppercorns, ginger and more. It’s blessed with quick fries of chopped vegetables showered with coconut, fish curries spiced with crackling curry leaves and toasted spices, and peppery soups that promise to blow away the most stubborn of wintery colds.
In this class, we’ll explore a variety of sunshine flavours: try your hand at lime rice studded with roasted peanuts and speckled with mustard seeds; fruity side dishes spiked with toasted chillies, and a meaty masala simmered with locally grown cashew nuts. Tamarind dal puts home cooking centre-stage with its homely appeal and gingery notes. For dessert, we’ll enjoy making rice pudding sweetened with date palm sugar. Kerala’s cooking styles have been influenced by travellers of all faiths and backgrounds, many of whom have kept the spice trade flourishing for over 3000 years.
Roopa will welcome you with a wonderful breakfast of street food staple, bread pakoras (fried sandwiches filled with a herby chutney or spiced veggie mash, served with a fresh coconut & coriander chutney) and a warming cup of masala chai when you arrive, before you roll up your sleeves to start cooking. At the end of the day the class will sit down together to enjoy what you have made with a refreshing beer.
You will learn to make
- tomato rasam (spiced red lentil and tomato broth)
- fish curry
- tamarind dal
- lemon & peanut rice
- pineapple and mustard seed curry (pineapple pachadi)
- ‘First class railway curry’ – made with lamb
- South Indian coconut and rice pudding (payasam)
- Master the techniques behind Indian Cookery – once known you will have that knowledge for ever
- Expert teaching and advice, using standard home kitchen equipment
- Leave with the knowledge and understanding to make the delicious recipes at home
- Hands on experience
- You will use sustainably best quality ingredients – organic where possible
- Take away a pack of recipes of dishes made during the class