GUJARATI COOKING – REGIONAL INDIAN WITH ROOPA GULATI
Join Roopa Gulati on a gastronomic journey through India. This is the third in a series of regional Indian cooking classes based on Punjabi, Gujarati, Keralan and Rajasthani cuisines.
Perhaps no other state does more for snacking than this region. Although seventy per cent of Gujaratis are vegetarian, other communities such as the Parsees and Bohra Muslims do eat meat and bring their culinary culture to the table too. There’s a sweet-sour character to savoury Gujarati dishes – expect such treats as lentils flavoured with toffee-like jaggery and tart tamarind, and date and tamarind chutney – a splendid accompaniment to samosas.
In this class, we’ll be celebrating the versatility of rice with a light cauliflower, green pea and ginger masala quick-fried with lime-drenched flattened grains. The Parsees left Persia (now Iran) in the eighth century and many settled in Gujarat. Their chicken and apricot curry topped with a tangle of potato straws retains its middle Eastern heritage, while patrani machi – steamed fish topped with pounded coconut, green chilli and coriander is inspired by ingredients from the local landscape. For dessert, we’ll make a classic shrikand – hung curd, sweetened and spiced with cardamom and saffron.
Roopa will welcome you with a wonderful breakfast of bhaji per eeda (eggs with fenugreek leaves) and a warming cup of masala chai when you arrive, before you roll up your sleeves to start cooking. At the end of the day you will sit down together to enjoy what you have made with a refreshing beer.
You will learn to make
- Vegetable samosas
- Tamarind and date chutney
- Flaked rice with cauliflower and peas
- Gujarati dal
- Baked catch of the day with coconut (patrani machi)
- Chicken jardaoo and potato straws
- Rice with crisp-fried onions
- Master the techniques behind Indian Cookery – once known you will have that knowledge for ever
- Expert teaching and advice, using standard home kitchen equipment
- Leave with the knowledge and understanding to make the delicious recipes at home
- Hands on experience
- You will use sustainably best quality ingredients – organic where possible
- Take away a pack of recipes of dishes made during the class